PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Back Pain and flying
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2004, 09:53
Half a Mexican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dad used to suffer from similar symptoms.

For years he visited many doctors, chiropractors, rheumatologists etc. Nothing really seems to make a difference. Then one day he read an article describing how dehydration could be linked to back pain.

Don’t quote me on this but as I remember, the general principle was that back pain could be caused by a water shortage in the spinal column and discs. These discs serve to cushion and support the weight of the upper body. They consist of a circle of connective tissue with a central gel-like core. This makes the spine flexible and at the same time acts as a protective buffer. A lack of water basically “dries out” the gel between the discs causing stiffness and pain.

The solution? Drink more water! So started to drink 1.5-2.0 litres of water a day. Every morning he would fill up a large plastic bottle with water and drink it throughout the day. After around a week or so the pain was gone and has not bothered him since.

Give it a go, it might work for you too. Just one word of advice, don’t stray too far from the gents on the first few days…

--
HaM