PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging BE20 Co-Pilot Time
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2004, 15:35
mercman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi there Guys !

The way I see it is that if you have P1 rating and the other crew member also has a P1 rating then you could fly leg for leg and log PIC but this would only be possible if the company allows it or should I say if there are two company captains flying the aircraft.

If you have a P2 rating and fly as a co-pilot then you are entitled to log co-pilot time and if you have a P1 rating and fly as a copilot you can log P2 time I dont see why not because if the company are not going to let you fly as a P1 just yet wich might just be an insurance problem you somehow have to log hours to get the company requirement to fly as a P1. As far as I know if a company employs you as a co-pilot they will give you a P2 rating but some will just disagree and say lets give a P1 rating because there is not much of a difference with regard to the rating and then they save money but I am sure this is only an exception, but for the company you would still have to do a command upgrade although you are capable of flying as a captain.

The other point I would like to bring your attention to is part 135 Subpart 2 , Flight crew, Composition of flight crew:

"(1) The minimum number and composition of the flight crew shall not be less than the minimum number and composition specified in the aeroplane flight manual...."

"(1) The operator of a small commercial air transport aeroplane shall allocate additional flight crew members when it is required by the type of operation, and the number of such additional flight crew shall not be less than the number specified in the operations manual...." this is up to the company, what does your companys ops manual say ?

(3) This one is self explanotory about competency, licences and ratings. so is (4), (5) .

"(6) For operations under IFR or by night in a small commercial air transport turbo-propeller or turbojet aeroplane, an OPERATOR SHALL ENSURE THAT THE MINIMUM FLIGHT CREW IS TWO PILOTS : provided that in the case of a turbojet aeroplane, a single-pilot operation is allowed ....." then it goes on about aeroplane certification for single pilot operation ...etc...etc.

So I assume if you are flying a BE20 for a Lanseria operator you would be operating under part 135 you have a rating you may by law fly as a P1 but as you know the companys operation manual can be equal to or more stricter than the state requirement.

Also ask your chief pilot or your chief training captain for some advise on this one.

I have a P2 rating on the BE20 and for now I fly from the right so I log P2 time ! Otherwise how must I get hours ? How must you get hours ? is maybe the question you should be asking!

Well I hope I have made it a little clearer to you good luck !!