PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Strike Looms Large at Air Log in the GOM
Old 2nd Aug 2004, 04:49
gomexjr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that the Air Log pilots will eventually have to walk. How else do they show the company that the vote to strike was a serious matter, not a laughing matter that meant nothing. At least that appears to be the way that Air Log is viewing the pilots vote to strike.

I know that the Union has made multiple efforts to get the company to the table for open talks in hopes of starting a geniune negotiation of terms. Unfortunatly, they would have the same luck with a stone wall.

Here is some additonal food for thought. I was talking to a PHI pilot and he said that their negotiations will be on hold until Air Log is able to work their new contract. Is this true, is PHI waiting to see how Air Log handles thier negotiations and the outcome?

I have also heard talk that ERA is now looking at Unionizing as well. Apparently, their retirement benefits are assualted as if they were a sleeper cell taking pictures of the Pentagon. At least that is how it was described to me.

Assuming that is true, then how much more is riding on the contract between Air Log and it's pilot's? In asking the question, I would want to know what both sides feels is at stake. Maybe this would explain the hard nose tactics Air Log has choosen to use, as it may effect every company. If your head is in the sand maybe this next sentence will pull it out. Do we not think that each operator will/is supporting the other behind the scenes if not publically? It seems all the drilling companies are questioning what will happen as well, so what type of support or pressure are they putting on the companies to keep their costs down (rhetorical question hence the little dot at the end). Last I checked there was only one variable to the cost of operating equipment and that was the operator of the equipment! I don't know any executive that will allow their bonus to be touched, as it is almost always viewed as their salary. Of course they are owed the money, while the rest of us have to earn our bonuses. How many people work hard for their safety bonus?

I think all the above makes it important for the pilots to stand together and push through the best deal possible, as it appears that this will effect the entire GOM. Obviously, it has to be fair to both sides, and I have yet to meet a pilot that is looking to put their company out of business. Seems to me most just want a fair wage and decent benefits to take care of their families.

What better way for everyone to see if the Union is a reality? I think the majority of the pilots flying in the GOM tend to be more conservative. On a hunch I bet it has something to do with living/working in the South and having military backgrounds. I believe that is why it took the area so long to Unionize and why part of it still non-Union. Surely the employers know this and I wouldn't be surprised if they saw this as an opportunity to break the Union and make it worthless. I hope, for the sake of those of us looking to start a career down there and wanting the best conditions possible everyone stands united and strikes if need be. Better yet, I hope the company comes to their senses and sits at the table to have an open discussion and start a real negotiation process. Either way I wish all the Air Log pilots good luck and know that you do have a lot of support out there.