PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2004, 16:10
mazzy1026

Spicy Meatball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Hour 2

After arriving at the flying school at 11:30 I am now settled after filling out the membership form. I have met my new instructor, who again is a real nice guy, and before I know it we are sat in the lounge having a one on one chat. Something which I hadn’t previously been able to have. He explains everything to me and asks me about my other flying experiences. This is great as it is a more personal approach for me and I feel al lot more comfortable in a ‘family’ atmosphere.

We done a basic walk around the aircraft (only basic for now as the more detailed one which should take over an hour is done on days when flying cant be done). Went over mostly the aircraft surfaces to make sure of any obvious defects like another aircraft hitting it. Also, I got the aircraft checklist – something which I hadn’t seen yet. Upon getting in the aircraft, we went through the basic checks, I would read out the item in the list, then he would take me through what it meant, whilst actually carrying out the check at the same time. This was good and I took in what was said. I hadn’t seen the primer before, and it was a bit awkward opening it and twisting at the same time as it is quite close to the side of the throttle panel. Bit of funny start to the day as we swapped headsets only to realise I had soaked them due to the heat (I know I should have my own but this will be the last thing I buy as the money IMHO is better spent on the flying for now).

So now I was beginning to understand the process in more detail, and things were slowly fitting onto place from what I remembered in the previous lesson. I am thinking “Yeah I could get used to this”!

Again, I done most of the taxiing, learned how to use the brakes at best, also the handbrake with the awkward release button on. The take off run was great, again having most of the control along the way, instructor looking after keeping it down the centreline. He explained as the aircraft left the ground it will want to turn left, so I was able to anticipate this with some yaw and aileron. Today is an extremely hazy day, with not what you would call good visibility. There is a lot of micro light activity and quite a few aircraft in the vicinity, and because my headsets are a bit better (much clearly sound) I am hearing a lot of air traffic advice etc, thus beginning to understand what is being said a lot more.

I like this lesson a lot because my instructor (after helping me with use of the throttle etc) is giving me tasks to do such as “Maintain 3000ft, 90 kts using attitude, controls, trim and throttle” etc, so after a few tries it seems relatively straight forward and I am beginning to get the hang of straight and level flight. A few more manoeuvres later over where I live (the training this time is mostly done North of the aerodrome, which is great as this is probably where I will be doing most of my flying upon passing) we are on our way back to the aerodrome. We do a gliding descent from 3000ft to 1400ft and he is explaining along the way what’s happening and why we are doing it this way etc. we see a Cessna at a slightly higher speed than us, so we do an orbit to let him/her in front, then we are number two in the join, following the Cessna. I am at the controls all the way until after touchdown – obviously being followed through and getting some excellent verbal instructions along the way. My first real attempt at landing which went very smooth without any problems. An amazing feeling, which still have now. Now it is time for my first ever RT transmission:

“Golf sierra alpha, leaving kilo, goodbye” to which I get an instant response.

Now anyone would think that is easy to say no problem, but let me tell you, as you all know when it was your first time, even remembering something as small as this is harder than you think. The PTT switch went down and it came out easy, and upon hearing the reply was probably the best feeling so far, I have attempted a landing and spoke to ATC (this must sound very sad to all you experienced guys, but I am sure it takes you back when you were in the same situation)!

We taxi back and go through the shutdown checks, all is well and I have learned a lot today. I feel more confident than ever and cant wait for the next lesson. Now its back to the school for the Air Law exam ! instructor offers me a brew and gets another chap to sort me out with the exam.

Now, I have read the AFE Air Law book twice, and go through the confuser twice also. I thought the exam went very well and hopefully I have passed. It took me about 25 mins to complete and really wasn’t difficult at all.

In summary, I have had a superb day. I have done the air law exam, tried a landing and used the radio. I am buzzing all over and will be until Friday morning, which is my next lesson.

Until then, thanks for reading and I look forward to writing hour 3.

Regards

Lee