PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 returned to LHR with gear trouble
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2004, 21:47
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. With a reported serious fuel leak, why burn down to MLW? is this not a case for an overweight landing?
By the time the crew were aware of the fuel leak:
1. Quite a lot of time had passed...
2. A lot of fuel had leaked...

If the doomsday scenario had not yet occurred (i.e. ignition) I would have thought "stabilise" the situation and not rush into anything. A hastily arranged return and congfiguration could have provided that ignition source.

I'm pretty sure the AAIB report said the crew had diagnosed a CFT leak, so dumping presumably emptied that tank and elimated the bulk of the problem. Sounds well handled by my book... well, the flying side of it anyway <G>

Further to above... roughly what I said.
With approximately 4,000 kg of fuel remaining in the centre tank, an ILS approach was made to Runway 27L. There were no reports of any fuel leaking during the approach and the landing was made with minimum braking in order to keep the brake units as cool as possible. The Airfield Fire and Rescue Service met the aircraft and reported some vapour emanating from the left main landing gear wheel unit but no apparent fuel leaks. As a precaution, the left engine was shutdown and the aircraft was taxied back to a stand where the passengers were disembarked normally
I think taxiing in after an inspection and fire service in attendance and no signs of leak anymore after dumping seems a good team effort...

NoD