PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2004, 09:24
John Purdey

CHINOOK

Yeti, In my haste, I fear that my last post to you was misleading. I meant to say, over 4000 hrs first pilot, nearly all low level, day & night, Central Region (including of course that high ground in Scotland) , Northern Region, Southern Region, Middle East and Far East.
Ark Royal. Despite my promise to Brian Dixon on 18 July to stop going on about this matter, your last post deserves a reply, and it is this: we are confusing cause and effect. You say I know nothing about this accident. But we all know there is absolutely no doubt whatever that the crew were at the controls of an aircraft that flew into terrain. They should have followed the rules, and turned away so as not to fly into the cloud/mists or whatever (Iaccept your point that icing conditions precluded a rapid climb). Do you agree?
That they failed to turn away was the negligence. The only question remaining is why they did not turn away. We shall never know, but I have offered the only theory (and of course it is only a theory, and has nothing whatever to do with the negligence already committed), the only theory that makes any sense at all, bearing in mind the very high qulity of the crew, and that is that they were off track by over a quarter of a mile and thus facing much higher ground than they thought.
Regards JP.