PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air - desperation & woes continue
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2004, 11:50
Omark44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience with Gulf Air started in 1974 and ended in 1992 so I cannot claim to be up to date on their latest management practices, however, I do know that throughtout the period I mention no one was ever sacked for an isolated incident unless it was totally unforgivable. In fact I can think of people who could have been fired on the spot for their behaviour but were given a second, (or third!) chance simply because they had no other history and had otherwise been satisfactory employees.

The very few that did get sacked did have a history and the final offence was just the tip of the iceberg, in the two cases I can recall both pilots flew in a manner that was considered dangerous. I suspect that very little has changed at GF, from what my friends still there tell me.

As an expat it is never wise to get involved in disputes with locals, particularly long serving ones but having also worked for a considerable time in the Far East it has been my experience that there was always far more liklyhood of being instantly dismissed unfairly in the Far East than the Middle East.