PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet cabin allowance - in reality?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2004, 06:35
Final 3 Greens

easyJet cabin allowance - in reality?

Given easyJet's new policy of "no weight limit, within reason", I thought that it would be interesting to start a thread so that we can compare our experiences to interpret what the "limit" really is.

This is what the easyJet website says:

"9.7. Unchecked Baggage

(a) Each Passenger is usually permitted to transport one standard piece of Unchecked Baggage in the cabin as hand Baggage to a maximum weight and size, in accordance with our Carrier's Regulations. Baggage which you carry on to the aircraft must fit under the seat in front of you or in an enclosed storage compartment in the cabin. Items determined by us to be of excessive weight or size will not be permitted in the cabin."

Pretty vague....

I've flown six times since the new rule came in and here are my findings:

#1 STN - suitcase far smaller than frame by check in, not questions asked

#2 AMS - as above

#3 STN - computer bag - no questions asked

#4 EDI - as above

#5 STN - standard IATA carry on 55x40x20 - check in agent asked me politely to demonstrate that it would fit the frame at check in, then weighed it at 12kg - no problem

#6 AMS - same bag and contents, check in agent said bag looked "too big" and when challenged that it was accepted at STN, produced a wooden testing box that looked as if it had been hand made by a schoolboy :-)

No problem getting the case to fit in this, but rather difficult to remove it - pretty hilarious.

Then weighed the bag that was 12 kg at STN, it now magically increased to 15.5kg at AMS, with the same contents! This was "too heavy". So I removed and hand carried the small laptop that the manufacturer says weighs 1.9kg and the bag then weighed 12.3kg (????)

There was then no problem.

So, it would seem that the limit is 55x40x20 and about 12-12.5kgs.

Anyone else had any other experiences?

Also, it would seem that there are some variances in the accuracy of the weighing scales - maybe the STN unit was at the bottom end of the tolerance range and the AMS at the top end?

Last edited by Final 3 Greens; 30th Jul 2004 at 08:52.