PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatigue Management Program: Good or Bad?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2004, 05:59
LateNightOps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fatigue Management System: Good or Bad?

Through the work undertaken by the authority in consultation with [name], Head of Sleep Research at Adelaide University, CASA is currently developing a trial fatigue management system with a specific intention of ensuring that operators consider all duties associated with a pilots employment when designing flight and duty time schedules.

As an outcome of this trial, CASA anticipates that identified fatigue management principles would not be restricted to situations where limited numbers of pilots were retained. CASA notes that the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICA0) Operations Panel is also monitoring the outcomes of this trial, for possible reflection in ICAO flight and duty time requirements.
www.atsb.gov.au/aviation/rec/rec_detail.cfm?ID=256

Now this sounds good in theory... but

Speaking to a friend currently working with a company who has recently implemented such a system, apparently he is now able to work from 0400-2200 three days in a row (no split duty)!

I dont see how that is an improvement in fatigue management.

I may just be cynical, but the abuse of CAO 48 in parts of GA is already bad enough. This seems to be empowering the operator to 'make the call' whether a pilot is fit to fly by taking away the letter of the law for employees.

I'm interested to hear opinons out there from anyone working for companies with this fatigue management system.

cheers
LNO

Last edited by LateNightOps; 30th Jul 2004 at 16:51.