PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - old near miss
Thread: old near miss
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2004, 00:25
Kendo Nagasaki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
old near miss

Was watching tv the other and saw a documentary about old planes when, suddenly i remembered something from my childhood (stay calm, nothing M. Jackson about this post).

One day, about 20-odd years ago, i was walking home from school when i noticed a strange noise above my head. I looked up and saw a strange, box-like, airplane. It had a single engine and the pilot was clearly visible even though it was about 3000ft up, pre-ww1 so not very sexy. Obviously old, and not worth much further observation, i thought.

This changed rather suddenly when, with a huge roar, what appeared to be a Sea Harrier came within touching distance of this venerable airplane. The interesting part of this story (at last! (you)) was the the Harrier pilot actually bothered to come back, and did a slow circle of the biplane to make sure it was ok. When i later told this story to my parents all i got was a patronising 'yes dear'-sort of look and told to do my homework.

Im pretty sure this happend before the Falklands contretemp, so i like to think that 'Sharkey' Ward gave me my own private airshow. And a near-death experience to the pilot of the biplane.