PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airshows as entertainment
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2004, 23:08
treadigraph
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 342 Likes on 188 Posts
I have to agree.

On the one hand, Flying Legends and Shuttleworth address my personal desire to enjoy historic aeroplanes in their element; Shuttleworth is moving towards a barnstorming goal at some of their displays which addresses my desire to be humourously entertained as well.

Can't be bothered with RIAT any more. Was a guest of a supplier at Farnbrough last week; some of the flying was superb, particularly the F-18, and great to see Patty Wagstaff flying over here (and to see the B-51 sharing the same airfield as its intended audience!!!!). But... er, boring...

Best airshows? Never did a Barnstormers I'm afraid, but I enjoyed several of the Tiger Club's shows at Redhill and, yes you non-believers, Croydon in 1989. Superb. Aerobatics, racing, barnstorming and, Trapper's particular delight, Crazy Flying. Brendan O'Brainstorm variety that was, variously in Stampe or Super Cub. He did some of the commentry as well - Family Show or not, the double entendres, etc, were well received!

By experience I was in on the joke unlike some of the audience - and at Croydon several of the Met's finest. Pure entertainment, particularly B O'B trying to convince a couple of flat foots that it was all part of the act... Also seen someone do half a job at Old Rhinebeck - missed out on Stan Segalla in his Cub, but I'll be back! Enjoyed Trapper and his antics - subject of some correspondance between us - at West Malling a few years ago, and Charlie Culp in a J-3 at Middle Wallop, plus many years ago, at the same White Waltham airshow that saw a BA VC-10 at, er, not much altitude at all, one of the Leisure Sport pilots do a great display - I really thought he was going to hit that hangar! Come on CP, who was it?

I want to be entertained!

I'll be at Shoreham at the end of August, but in the Red Lion pub enjoying af ew pints and the show at a slight distance... I'll go to Biggin, 'cos I'm hoping that there really will be two Connies flying there. And I'll keep going to OW as often as I can 'cos it's great.

Good thread Traps!

PS I read your comments about UK airshows in Pilot a few years ago - Xavier de Lapperant expressed much the same sentiment...