PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MyTravel Redundancies
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2004, 17:24
TJ747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIG TUDOR

I couldnt agree with you more regards to the over capacity in the uk IT market.

What Mytravel are doing now is a very brave and in deed well needed decision in order to return mytravel to proffitabillity again.
What we are doing now, you will probably see the other major uk ops doing quite soon too.

As someone explained to me, take a 767-300 which holds 326pax.
the price that had been set for the holidays was x amount, alot of tour ops had difficulty in seeling these at those prices, prices come down to which you end up making very little or a loss.

when i looked in apr for the loads in jul/aug...alot of myt flights were 1/2 booked up allready....so take the 767 (326pax), thats 166 seats sold at a decent price....the other 166 seats sold at a lower price when it was announced that we had trouble selling at a decent price, due to competition from other ops.

by slimming the fleet down to a more comfortable size A320/321.
(A330 longhaul)....you can see that the bulk of the plane load would have been sold at a respectable price instead of having to slash prices to compete with the others and to try and get something for the seats rather than nothing.

As an employee of the company...i feel confident in what they are doing and hopefully...this will be the last leg of the bad news.

....its not "DOOM AND GLOOM".... its business and something that is needed to protect the mytravel group... its a way forward for the company and as i say....dont be suprised to find TCX/FCA/BY doing something similar in the near future.

Hope all is well and if i am wrong in what i have said...then shoot me and let me know...which you probably will....but just expressing my comments on what is an open forum.
I do share my sympathy with those that maybe out of a job...but i have been there too (twice in fact) so i can appreciate how unsettling it can be.

Many thx

TJ747