PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airshows as entertainment
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2004, 14:32
G-KEST

Awesome but Affordable

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Devil Airshows as entertainment

On another forum the question has been put on variety at airshows and this is my response.

I could not agree more. Variety is the keyword and there is much of a sameness in the UK display scene at the moment. Airshows are primarily entertainment and they have to entertain as well as enthrall. Spectacular displays by vintage warbirds, jet or piston plus participation by military agencies are all very well but are they really what a family regards as a good day out especially with so many counter attractions to divert them.
Enthusiasts are vital however they number but a small and vociferous minority of those who attend displays.
The bulk are ordinary folk where the husband is a keen aficionado but his wife and kids are not necessarily so. They do need entertaining otherwise perhaps they will not be so willing next time to attend that, or indeed any other, display.
Just as the circus needs spectacle it also needs comedy from the clowns. As a long time airshow "clown" in the form of a convincing crazy flying routine by one of my distant family it seems an awful long time since we saw this in the UK. Compared with the heavy metal it is certainly not expensive in terms of cost effectiveness as a vital piece of the overall entertainment airshow package. It is an item only suitable at some venues - it would be absolutely lost at RIAT for example - but there are many where such an act could be flown to good effect.
Obviously here I must pay tribute to the the Turb team of the Tiger Club and, especially, the "Utterly Butterlies" right back to their inception with Yugo Cars so long ago; both of whom have kept the entertainment, razzmatazz and "WOW" factor in the public eye at airshows
What do you think............???????
Would really appreciate your views.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
www.tempest.ndo.co.uk