PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Throckmorton - History?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2004, 13:02
Spiney Norman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Newswatcher.
Is this Throckmorton Worcestershire? In which case I think we're talking about RAF Pershore. Pershore opened in June 1934 as the Worcestershire Flying School but was taken over by the RAF and developed for service use, opening in February 1941. First unit was 23 OTU, (Wellingtons). The OTU, along with many other training units took part in a number of raids, Essen, Bremen, and Dusseldorf featuring. Crews trained at Pershore were mainly Canadians who would go on to the rapidly growing RCAF bomber effort developing from mainly Yorkshire bases. There is a large Canadian war graves section at Worcester Cemetry which stand testament to the many losses from training accidents which occured in and around Pershore during this period. As the war situation approached it's conclusion the need for bomber crews began to decline and the unit was disbanded on March 15th 1944. No.1 Ferry Unit was established at Pershore following the disbandment of 23 OTU. It's task being overseas ferrying and collection of multi-engined aircraft. This unit continued to operate until 1948 when it was replaced by 10 AFU with Airspeed Oxford's. 10 AFU disbanded in 1953 and in 1957 the Royal Radar Establishment Flying Unit moved in from Defford. The airfield closed for flying in 1978 but is a HIRTA and laser site which, (I think) is the property of Qinetiq, the privatised MOD (PE).
Of course, if I've got the wrong Throckmorton I've just wasted your time! Sorry!

Spiney