PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlink PNG
Thread: Airlink PNG
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2004, 10:06
G.A. Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having worked for them on a 12 month contract in 2002/2003, I was based in Lae, flying their bandits. Very professional company in most ways. Maintenance was excellent, aircraft were real workhorses, but in reasonable condition. Lae was an enjoyable, but very dangerous place to live. Worst thing was the drive to the airport, which took about 40-45 minutes. Got rascalled once by bandits, and another two attempts. Lae is a dangerous place, but Madang, and Rabaul, are both far better, safer bases. Company was very professional in its training. Main issue was pay. You get paid in the Kina, which isn't very high against the aussie $, however, the company does supply you rent at no cost, and the shared use of a vehicle. Main issue was management, who moved you from base to base at a moments notice, put you in sub standard living quarters, often with no power or water, and no access to a vehicle.
Overall, I loved my 12 months there, and don't regret it, although the company has got desperate for crew, as they have a very high turnover.