PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Competition for the first time in ATC
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2004, 00:39
SM4 Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you get this? From what I have been advised this is not true.
I read the regulation change? I may be reading it wrong, but I don't think so, my "bush lawyer" credentials are solid and recently refreshed.
air traffic control means: (a) AA in its capacity as a provider of air traffic control services; or (b) the Defence Force in its capacity as a provider of air traffic control services; or (c) a person who provides an air traffic control service in cooperation with AA in accordance with paragraph 11 (3) (b) of the Air Services Act 1995 or by arrangement with AA in accordance with paragraph 11 (3) (c) of that Act.
As Airservices loses money on all of the smaller towers, they should be pushing to subcontract to the lowest bidder
That doesn't add up? A new 'cheap bidder' would still need ATCs; the least significant cost of ATC is wages, they are already at minimum staffing (yes you could make reductions but not substantive)... The reason ASA doen't make money at most tower locations is due to 'on costs' getting the ATC labour off the books does nothing to reduce the 'on costs'; this includes ILS maintainance, as well as corporate overheads etc.
Airservices will be able to contract the tower to the lowest bidder
No dick they won't; why would they remove themselves from the business of providing ATC services. They also wouldn't allow a cheap operator to take over a place like Bankstown, as that would constitute a transmission of business and the current employees would get current conditions, so where is the advantage, financial or otherwise, given the 'new company' would then also factor in a profit margin (wouldn't they?).
ASG knows it is running a tight financial ship, the new GM could not believe how tight it was when he came on board, and he came from the dept. of Finance!
ASG might just beat Serco and others for some FAA towers, they couldn't do that if their cost structures were not extremely competitive.
It would also allow air traffic controllers to have greater flexibility – i.e. head off to the beach when there are no RPT services present, then come back and man the tower when required.
Baaawwwwaaaahhhh! Best line ever. Is this a secret split shift policy or is a new competitive 'ATC provider' going to pay ATCs to lay on the beach at the same time as complying with
it is obvious that any operator of the tower will have to comply with the CASA safety standards
Dick, 15 Sitting days is a long way off, I'm affraid that gazetting doesn't mean L.A.W. It is a regulation change which can be dissallowed at any time within those 15 days, at this rate for the next 3 months.

I suspect that Mr. Ferguson and the Democrats haven't even noticed this little blip on the table yet, let alone endorsed it by 'passing it', you don't "pass" a regulation you disallow them.

Last edited by SM4 Pirate; 29th Jul 2004 at 00:51.