PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Staff – Going The Extra Mile
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2004, 00:08
Earthmover

Humus Motor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it can do a bit of good to write a note to the airline occasionally. Some years ago, as I was approaching a major UK airport in fog, a major part of the approach lighting failed. This precluded a landing and I was compelled to divert to another airport (about 40 miles away.) We were advised that the problem was soon going to be fixed so we waited, with the passengers on board. Being a communicative type, I relayed every bit of information I received about how matters were progressing, over the PA system, to the passengers. We departed and got to the original destination after about an hour on the ground.

A week or so later I was passed a copy of a letter from a passenger to the airline demanding compensation for the disastrous loss of business he suffered as a result of missing his meeting. In this missive he declared that "not one word of explanation was forthcoming from the Captain, who remained silent during the entire period we were 'kept prisoner' on the aircraft" I was stunned (a bit naively, I suppose) that someone could write such a black lie - but how to prove the truth? Well, to my absolute delight, another letter arrived from an elderly couple thanking the Captain "For being so informative" - and it continued " My wife and I are not keen on flying, but the Captain kept telling us what was going on and this greatly reassured us." This (dis-identified) letter was forwarded to the original complainant with a request for comments. We never heard another word.

This couple are on my private list of people nominated for sainthood.