PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in the Persian/Arabian Gulf
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2004, 20:51
HeloTeacher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airtoday, I think the manner of your posts is what is generating the negative return fire. For example:
If you would prefer single status living in crap accommodation for a bit more money then there are other operators in the Gulf better equipped.
-is a very good example, from your first post in this topic, of how you turn a very positive message on its ear.

You take offence when your 'crap' wages are compared to the 'crap' accommodations. Well, you started it.

Again, you have posted:
There are, and have been, many dangerous places on earth. Dubai is not one of them. It is a safe haven for people of all nationalities.
-maybe, maybe not, but an American living ANYWHERE in the Middle East would be nuts to take things for granted. They aren't 'any nationality' these days. So far, I don't see anyone with a southern drawl supporting your assertion that Dubai is the 'safest haven on earth'.

These 2 guys ae a lot better off, and you are too, to have made the decision before arriving in Dubai, realizing it isn't acceptable, and trying to leave then. From what I've seen here, I'm betting your presentation of what to expect is extremely rosy and their subsequent research didn't match. To me, when investigating potential places to work or live, this is a red flag!

As expatriates, and looking like westerners, we will attract negative attention.

There are lots of QOL issues to address. As a case in point, right now I'm making 25% more than you offered and get 6 months of the year at home. Compared to most people working Mon to Fri, I see my kids more than they do. Where I'm working in west Africa was never advertised as safe but as long as one is careful, no problems.

Try to be less sensitive when your aggressively presented rosy views are challenged. The world is a big place and the people you are addressing here have seen much of it.

If you are really looking hard still for people, I'll pass the info along to a couple guys I know who may be interested.