PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ghosties And Goulies
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2004, 20:39
Ripline

sua cuique voluptas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civvy PPL, nervously venturing onto Mil territory without clearance, please be gentle!

Working at the then newly-built Culham Laboratory in the mid sixties I was the first SAO's to inhabit the end of the F4 block, setting up the Microwave Diagnostic Lab before the rest of the research group transferred from AERE Harwell. Even during the daytime it was wierd to walk down the corridors which had double swinging doors - the glass reflected the slight movements of the other sets of doors.

Now, as an impressionable 18-year old at the time I listened to the old storekeeper who had worked at Culham when it was an RN airfield that repaired and serviced Seafires and Sea Hurricanes during the war. He said that there had been a fatal crash at one end of the airfield and that a new building or hangar had been erected near the site. "Several workers" had been startled on many occassions by an airman carrying a flying helmet appearing to walk out of the wall and fade after a few footsteps.

Brilliant story, with all the correct ghost tale credentials.....

At the back of Culham outside the wire the Nuneham estate begins. Well hidden amonst the trees and overgrown bushes lies Pegusus Camp. I'm pretty sure that it was a POW site, but have no details.

OK, back to JetBlast......

Ripleline