PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ghosties And Goulies
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2004, 13:54
allan907
Nixor ut Ledo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
During WW2 Wittering took a bomb that blew out the front of the Officers' Mess. Apparently it killed an Army officer in the ante-room. When I was OC PMS this tale was related to me by the mess staff who also said that they sometimes felt "a presence".

About 18 months after I had departed for the hallowed halls of Adastral House my wife was posted in to Wittering as OCPMS and, while we decided to go in MQ or not, she had a room in the Mess. It was upstairs above the ante room. Normally, officers are not accommodated in this area - tends to be reserved for VIPs and senior officer 'favourites'.

Those who know Wittering also know that at the southern end of the upstairs corridor, next to the VIP suite, there is a flight of stairs leading down to a locked door on the ground floor.

One evening my wife swore blind that she heard someone walk down the corridor and down the stairs. She heard the door open and close. No one else was accommodated on the top floor at the time. She also said that she regularly awoke at about 3.30 am with some kind of sense that someone was there.

Apparently the bomb hit at about 3.30 am.

I had not told her the story before she went there.