PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Braking Question
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2004, 09:17
Atlanta-Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Cycles

Never seen or heard that use of reverse thrust would contribute to cycles... I have never seen a tech log for any company reflect reverse use. The use of reduced or normal T/O thrust use is logged (Company procedural variatons). Starting and shutting down engine is a cycle.

You are right partly though. Use of reversers does contribute to wear and tear of the engine. But as far as I know it is not detrimental to the engine service life, unless one picks up FOD, over temps or causes compressor stalls on a regular basis.

It would be stupid to say that using reverse would not reduce engine life than normal cruise at FL350, of course it does. However operating the engine within it's approved envelope, where start-up, taxi, T/O, climb, cruise, descent, landing using reverse, taxi and finally shut-down, are all normal and have been reflected in the engine design life.

My point is that using reverse at high speeds and brakes at low speed one will get best out of both systems where these operate at their best efficiency. One will minimize FOD , stalls and re-ingestion of exhaust gasses as these occur at low speeds and minimize wear and tear of brakes.

AD

Last edited by Atlanta-Driver; 27th Jul 2004 at 09:42.