PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Sea King replacement update
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2004, 03:23
Cyclic Hotline

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Different operations require different machines. Different countries will purchase different equipment for a multitude of reasons.

It doesn't necessarily make one bad if it is not selected, it is a selection process after all, and somewhere a decision will be reached and a purchase made.

The worst part, is the hype and misinformation that leads the selection process and the ready supply of "unidentified sources" that have followed every part of every EH-101 procurement. The only time this pitiful bleating ceased was when the entire EH-101 fleet was grounded (sorry, - not flying) and not ONE word was heard from anyone in that camp - not one word!

As soon as the procurement was sourced elsewhere, the "unidentified sources" sprang back into action pointing out that the the S-92 only had 2 engines, as opposed to 3 in the EH-101. I think this may have to go down in the history of helicopter aviation as the dumbest statement ever made by a manufacturer (sorry, unidentified source). There were others of equal comic value.

The entire way through the procurement, those "unidentified sources" fed the press a rash of stories about crashes, unreliability, breakdowns, parts shortages, etc. I'm not sure what part of Marketing 101 (sic) deals with insulting the ability of your customer to operate his existing equipment, or to make the correct choice in the next selection? Sadly, it fails entirely when it is being reviewed by other industry professionals.

I have had my own opinions (here on PPRuNe) on the early parts of the S92 programme and some other Sikorsky stuff, but I will give Sikorsky there due and they have succeeded admirably with this programme and I wish it every success.

On the contrary, having watched the marketing approach of EH Industries, I can confidently state that they will never have to worry about me as a customer. That is an aside anyway, as I don't believe that the EH-101 can ever compete in the commercial marketplace anyway (apparently, others believe the same thing).

Personally, I can't wait to get acquainted with the S-92 - something that should be happening soon. Interestingly, the commercial S-92 line is busy and has Customers - another claim that we are unlikely to hear about from those "unidentified sources"!

Congratulations to Sikorsky and the Canadian Government on a sound choice.