PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RIAT - The Verdict (aka debate....)
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2004, 14:53
typhootea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIAT - The Verdict (aka debate....)

First time post for me on the forum and would like to offer some views following on from Tristarlover's post.

Yes I would agree that we have been spoiled by previous IAT/RIATs over the years. The days of former Eastern Bloc types a plenty are possibly long gone, rising demands from the operators (fuel, hotels, cars not to mention appearance money) have killed off the non-NATO operators. New members to the alliance are possibly struggling with getting their aircraft up to compliance for operation in western airspace, indeed a recent aviation journal quoted the Czechs as having to use their older Hinds for western displays as they are the only ones with the necessary avionics fit!

Regarding the B-2 then the decision on whether the aircraft lands at Fairford is way out of RIATs sphere of influence. If ACC say fly-by then so be it! As for the UK Alpha Jets then rumour has it that as RIAT is BAE Systems sponsored (in part) then they have an influence in preventing the AJ's from Boscombe to attend...keeping sponsors sweet??

RIAT do try their best, I know they do, fact! However, operating restrictions hit hard and usually when you don't need them. The BAE Skyhawk would have been a bonus but contract restrictions at BAE in Germany and fleet availability meant a no-show as it was bringing in much needed cash for the operator. Italian F-104's, grounded at last minute with a technical issue, with the best will in the world no-one could predict that.

To close, at what other show in the UK this year would you have seen a Estonian Border Guard Let 410, French Army Porter, French AF Mirage IV, Brazilian C130, Canadian Hawk, Italian Army Do-228, Finnish display team plus all else that we now take for granted (me included)? As for Herk 50, did anyone really expect to see 50 Herks with todays climate of deployed operations and increased tensions??

Lets enjoy what we have, I know that our fellow enthusiasts in the USA/Canada would kill for what we got at Fairford this year.

Let the debate continue!!