PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew life. still worth it? salary & benefits ; career progression?
Old 25th Jul 2004, 09:21
flybywire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree BA would be the best choice.
I've worked for other airlines in the UK and Italy and have lots of friends who work for charter airlines in the uk and none of them takes care of the cabin crew as much.
In BA after 2 years of flying you can apply for any position: purser, trainer, etc. or work in different departments (CSA/advertising/sales etc) You can even apply for cabin crew manager as soon as you get into the company.
I wouldn't do that but I know of people who've already sent their cv!!

I believe that this is a job you have to try, or you'll regret it later in life.
The cabin crew life-style can be pretty amazing, night-stops or lay-overs in places that you would never be able to afford to see if you had to pay for it, great people to work with, forget about boredom because every flight is unique!!
The down-side of it is sleep-pattern disruptions in most airlines and the fact that you live on a roster, which can be extremely unsociable!!!!

You'll see that after a while all your friends will be people in the industry who can understand what all this means....people who won't be mad at you if 10 minutes before going to the cinema together you call them and say: <<Hi...I've just been called out for a double MAN-GLA....>>. You'll get used to it!!!

Also prepare yourself to see your life slip away...when you work on a roster all you wait for is the next month's and before you realise it you are 40!!!!

Take care and enjoy....

FBW

PS: I don't clean toilets and I surely don't clean up vomit....unless it's a little child's travelling on their own.
Adults are old enough to either use the sickbag or clean up after themselves, as they would do at their home!!