PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence Cuts latest
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2004, 21:55
Oggin Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How sad it is that none of the current chiefs seems to possess a nanogram of this 'essential quality'.
Tigs 2 - Reading between the lines I think the current First Sea Lord was against these cuts -
I do not instinctively welcome the early disposal of good ships ...
Quote here.

As the captain of a frigate in the Falklands he came under sustained air attack. With his ship badly damaged and probably on its last legs (metaphorically) and facing yet another air attack, he bravely ordered his crew to bring the ship's weapons arcs to bear and once more face the enemy.

IMHO that is Moral Courage.

If the chiefs had stood up and really argued these cuts, they would have been sacked and replaced by someone who would agree. Why do you think the last CDS ( a naval officer) left his post a year early - not happy at servicemen being used to fight fires per chance ?
I think they are in a catch 22 situation - agree and be damned by the boys, disagree and be sacked.

I dont know what the answer is.

Yes we are getting smaller, concentrating on capability effects from less people but better equipment (?) but in my very humble opinion quantity has a quality all of its own. (and I bet someone else said that at some point).