PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates... or not?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2004, 13:10
BYMONEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freespeed
I wasn't going to get involved with this but after the biased replies from CAP56 and Dungfunnel,i'd like to put my own views forward.Firstly,how Dungfunnel can offer a balanced and subjective view of 'actual family life' in Dubai when he doesn't even live here ,god only knows.Quote"didn't go,don't regret it".Fine,shut up then! A week visiting Russian hookers isn't what many of us aspire to!Also.without going into too many details,CAP56 has 'HISTORY' with Emirates and no longer draws a tax free salary here!
I was in exactly your position approx 2 years ago.The most difficult decision is the one you're about to make and ,as you will see,advice varies tremendously.
Firstly,Aviation has changed over the last 5-7 years and people here in Emirates tend to only think it's happening here.I'd been flying 4 years left seat,for good UK Charter,with 13 years total flying(all jet).Rosters were unstable,long night flights,no pay rise for 2 years but enjoyed Company/company, good pension and 'secure' future.Nice house,kids in good school.....settled!
Once decision made to join EK,have never looked back.I know it's early days and yes,Dubai is somewhat of an inigma and some things can be frustrating.Driving is poor verging on Dangerous but you do adapt.Summers are hot but wifes/kids escape for 6-8 weeks and seems to work.Other 8 months the weather is sublime!Nationals tend to keep themselves to themselves and most people tend to gravitate toward their own culture/friends.School places have been in short supply but Gov't/Airline is aware of this and there are plans for more to be built.Fact.Please check with schools direct re.places but Emirates will try,where poss,to assist.Yes,there is a lot of night flying,but no more than your average charter airline and to be expected with longhaul.There's no 4/5 hour coach tours around the countryside(not that there is any in Dubai anyway) before or after flights and the best bit is the private pick up to take you to/from work.A delight after your 5.30am arrival!Your Accommodation will vary and may not be what your shown but we are very happy with ours.3 big b/rooms,2 bathrooms huge kitchen,utility,large lounge/dining and study.Upstairs lounge as well as large maids room+bathroom. 3 mins drive from lovely beach(public).Schools are of a high standard both academically and discipline.start early around
7-45 but finish around 1-15.Most a/noons spent relaxing at one of many clubs that as pilots we can access thru pilots club for approx £12/month(family of 4)!use of gym/pool/beach plus up to 40% discount off food/drink.There is plenty else for children/grown ups including horse riding/sailing clubs/golf/tennis/cinemas/hockey...yes,ICE hockey and soon there will be the worlds largest indoor ski slope.There are also some excellent parks that are ideal for Kids.Plenty of modern shopping malls and lots of high quality restuarants,many in 5 star hotels at a fraction of cost compared to rip off uk prices.Emirates medical facilities are superb and from recent experience will testify to the outstanding level of service that we received when one of our children was recently taken ill. No waiting,no fuss,just clean efficient medical care in Private/en-suite rooms. Petrol is only 18p/liter,that's cheaper than water and cars cost less as well.Flying itself is good,in 17months only one 'odd' ball Captain and not one change to my roster.What you see on your roster is what you fly(99%)Initial training can seem pedantic and sop,s need sorting(seem to change every few months) but seems to be improving.Bid system is good with 5 month rotation.Normally get your request in top 2-3 months and most of requests in rest...if not too greedy and bid carefully!Routes are expanding every day and good to fly to places i'd only ever heard about.Can book buisness class for you/family and first class if you're Captain.Time to command is still around 3 year mark and DEC's are to fill a gap while Airline is short.Doesn't concern me as 2-3 yrs experience on new type/route/sop's/Airline is good before L/seat.All DEC's so far are around early/late fifties and are not long term!.Last years profit pay was 8 weeks,this years was 10!People here still moaned as they were expecting 12....no pleasing some eh?
I've put my point across,overall i'm pleased with move.I actually appreciate the UK more now i don't live there but i can always visit it for a week for £500!My wife is very happy and settled and so too are the children.I ensure they never lose touch with reality while at the same time bringing them up in a safe,clean country with a very high standard of living.There is no 'brainwashing' here.It's what YOU and YOUR family choose to make of it and i wish you all the best in your decision
p.s Try and leave some money/investment especially if in Europe as dollar is currently weak(not Emirates fault) but otherwise this shouldn't effect you too much if coming long term.Spreads your investments is one way of looking at it.Also,if you have good furniture,take the allowance and ship it out.The furniture here is crap.
pps Don't forget some factor 20+ sunscreen!

Last edited by BYMONEK; 24th Jul 2004 at 14:32.