PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence Cuts latest
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2004, 09:51
Front Seater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Smith,

Thank you for having the honour to openly debate on this forum. Undoubtedly you have earned respect, even if some on the forum continue to disagree. However, I will add that the average Serviceman views the Daily Telegraph as an authoritive source and I agree that the Mail and Sun can print what they like. To that end my only plea is to ensure that there is no doubt in the reader's mind as to exactly how confident you are with your information.

We are use to crew room gossip and 'snippets' and also to 'well informed information that provides the 'heads up', so please if you personally believe that you do have a trustworthy and reliable source then tell us that, if it is Mr Smith (I've been in the game for a while) hunch to inform the debate or get your readers thinking, then again tell us. Both Mr Hastings and Mr Keegan appear to be able to merge hard fact with thought provoking ideas and still be able able to articulate their cases.

Your challenge now is to see exactly where 'the further work' not announced this week is going. The devil is always in the detail, and although the quake has been felt throughout all three Services, I believe that there are numerous 'after shocks' that will be appearing in the autumn, ranging from Estate rationalisation through to the equipment projects that do not attract so much attention as Typhoon.