PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I shall divorce her.....
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2004, 23:13
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IO540

This is a well-known case. He had been recorded aparently flying illegally low in the past. he had just been banned from one club, this was his first flight as PIC from his new club. He had almost certainly been taking photographs while at the controls, as the only pilot, seriously degrading his flying. He was doing aerial work without a CPL. He was operating at low level in an area where a lot of fast movers fly at low level. He did not request a FIS, though he had been briefed that one was available. These circumstances killed not only him but the two crew of a Tornado.

If you take the occasional photo, fine, although filming a whole coast I suspect you degraded your lookout. Fly low if you need, or even for fun. Don't do both together. If you are flying low you should be doing nothing but looking out of the window, and occasionally glancing at the engine instruments and DI if necessary. It's a dangerous environment, especially in a low-level corridor.

I am not sure how you blame it on the Tornado crew, operating legally and in compliance with normal aviation practice. He was not doing so.