PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA or Virgin? Which is better?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2004, 19:44
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SB...

It's a difficult one... however, a fortunate position to be in - some would love to have either offered! I am lucky enough to have been in his (your!) position - worked for VS, and had to make the decision (or not) to move to BA after a year or 2 - which I did. On balance, I reckon for someone joining now VS has the edge...

Specifics:
Later on when he may not be so keen to fly all the time BA apparently offers 75% and 50% rosters, does Virgin?
I think VS does offer part time. BA does, but very hard to get right now... Will come down to legislation, which means they'll be the same.

Though BA’s new pension hasn’t been finally announced
Well... it's 12% of ~75% of your salary, which in anybody's eyes (except BA's!) is 9%. VS I believe is 15%. If we can up the rate for new entrants in BA we will, but there are so many battles brewing in BA right now, I cannot forecast a likely outcome.

Is it true that BA’s long haul guys regularly do 900 hours PA whereas Virgin boys don’t, aren’t they contracted to 750 hours?
VS were contracted, when I was there, to 750hours (800 Airbus), and I believe the +50 Airbus cop-out was got rid of. BA work to a credited hour system, which can lead to you doing 900 actual hours. However, to achieve this, then you must be doing "efficient" trips which ensure no long stays downroute or on duty. VS do not have that protection... Probably not an issue with their route structure, and/or you are happy spending time off downroute against home.

But then doesn’t Virgin offer a quicker command
Usually has done, but all based on dead man's shoes or expansion.

Hope that helps somewhat, but suggest:
  • Take the first offer that comes - or at least first starting date
  • Toss a coin
  • If you take my advice (I wouldn't) go for VS...