PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air - desperation & woes continue
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2004, 18:40
Xeque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummm. Ok.

Yes, people from the Indian sub-continent be they housemaids or whatever are exploited. There will always be someone who takes advantage of these people and their desparation to find better paid (or any paid) work. The same thing could be said of any major city in any developed country in the world.

I don't know how one can stop this. It's easy to say READ THE CONTRACT!! but how many of them are able to read (period).

I've seen them arrive at the airport then herded into a pick-up for a journey to a small apartment off Exibition Road whilst they are "processed" pending transfer to KSA or wherever.

But are the people who direct such activities any different to those who do the same in New York or London or Sydney? Is the who set up the deal in Bombay or Bangkok any different? I doubt it.

Western women given a hard time. Yes. But it depends on how they chose to dress outside their home/work environment. Hot pants and a lycra top are guaranteed to excite an Arab - particularly a Saudi. We all know the rules. Choose not to follow them (OK) but accept the inevitable.

What else?