PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-52 bombs Blackbushe
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2004, 15:44
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taff Missed, one could very well argue that until Pearl Harbor was attacked there was no true World War. Now true there was a very nasty air war between the Germans and the British (but no ground war as Germany had already conquered Europe.) Japan was in a nasty little war with China and Hitler had made the biggest blunder in modern history by invading Russia. So one could say it was World War one and a half until Pearl Harbor.

Now back to the thread.

Some one earlier pointed out El Paso and Briggs Air force Base in Texas. I have no idea how many times I have landed El Paso and more than a few times at Briggs. (And yes when I landed at Briggs I was supposed to.) However in marginal VFR conditions it is very easy to line up on the wrong airport, even with the ILS tuned. It has happen too more than a few pilots. I of course, being perfect, have never had any such problem (and if you believe that I got some land in Florida I will sell you real cheap!)

Anyway mistakes happen and I will bet you a crisp five-dollar bill to a soggy doughnut that the Aircraft Commander and the Lead Nav. on that B-52 are not any more.