PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair faces inquiry as toilets on aircraft were used as seats
Old 23rd Jul 2004, 15:35
ManaAdaSystem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
egnxema

Please enlighten me regarding all of these airlines you refer to. I have worked for several, and NEVER been flying around with pax in the toilets.

With regard to "shouting down airlines", well, we are in a highly competitive environment. Cutting corners saves money, at least in the short run. What happened in this case may have prevented FR from canceling another flight.
-Pilots may report ready early in order to get ahead in the departure queue. A practice that may cause pilots like me an extra delay. Time and fuel = money.
-Pilots may fly with minimum fuel. When instructed to hold, they may advice ATC that; we have only fuel for 5 mins hold, and thereby getting a priority. I might cost me time and fuel.
-Some incidents may be an indication the company is only applying minimum training in order to save cost. My company may be at a disadvantage because training and safety is at a higher level. Safety cost money.
-Some incidents may be an indication of bad maintenance procedures. Bad maintenance procedures may be because of cost cutting. Have a look at the Alaska Air MD 80 accident, and you will see what I'm getting at. Again, other companies may suffer financially because of a higher standard.
-Breach of procedures may be an indication of a less than ideal culture within a company.

Just because an airline hasn't crashed, doesn't automatically mean its safe. If an airline has crashed, it doesn't automatically mean its unsafe.

And no, I'm not pointing my finger at FR specifically. These are general observations.

I try to keep a high standard, as do most of us. We react when we see somebody blatantly disregarding the rules. Or cutting corners.