PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-52 bombs Blackbushe
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2004, 08:54
pr00ne

Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts
Talking

allan907,

I know this is rather off topic and I don't want to divert the thread as it's making me snigger, but I am in myth destruction mode this morning, so sorry.

We never "coped with WW1 on our own for 90% of the time"
We were a bit part player compared to the French and Germans which ever way you want to look at it, total numbers comitted, casualties, % of national resources mobilised, effect on national economy and % of population effected.

We may have been there sans the US for most of it, but to say we coped on our own is a gross distortion of historical fact.

Back on topic, was once lounging around at Sherburn aero club when a brace of USAF F-100's beat the living daylights out of the place, leaving a strangely silent and puzzled Church Fenton wondering where it's SSAFA airshow act had got to..............................

On the other hand, an old wizzened FAA mate used to tell a lovely story of doing a display over Leeds City centre for a war weapons week or something similar in a Firebrand, claiming that all railway lines looked a like he had to explain his dazzling display over SHEFFIELD city centre to the subsequent court of enquiry!