PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air - desperation & woes continue
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2004, 05:56
Xeque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Tcasted,

I seem to have upset you. Sorry.

In my day "the passenger was always right". Indeed the late Noel Coward included a song with that title in his London stage production of the musical "Sail Away".

It would serve many who contibute to this forum better if the term "self loading freight" were to be done away with.

Before the 747 screwed it up for all of us, the Merchant Navy was the main 'people carrier' around the world and woe betide any of us, officers or ratings, who treated a passenger with such contempt.

You castigate me for chosing to fly Gulf Air. Why should I not? From a passenger point of view it is just another airline and the woes that may beset its employees have absolutely nothing whatever to do with me.

However, there are two very good reasons why I do choose GF.

The first is that, with the exception of Phuket Air which has a promotion on at the moment and offers BKK/LGW via DXB and return LGW/BKK direct for 6,000 Baht less, Gulf Air's BKK/LHR return fare is the least expensive available for the doubtful privilege of cramming myself into a 17 by 28 inch box whilst praying that the person in front does not elect to fully recline their seat for the whole of the journey.

My policy, as someone who is mindful of his health, is that I do not fly sectors of more than 7 hours or so. If my journeytime is longer than that I break the journey so that I can get a proper night's sleep in a bed, a shave and shower in the morning and a change of clothes before I continue the journey.

This is leads to the second reason for choosing Gulf Air. I lived in Bahrain for many years and I have many friends there with whom I like to keep in touch. Gulf Air is the only airline out of Bangkok that offers me BKK/BAH direct so that I can make a stopover in Bahrain on my way to London.

I repeat what I said last night. If the airline is as bad an employer as you say then move on.