PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - At joystick or wheel, attitude saves lives
Old 23rd Jul 2004, 05:29
MicroFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're all human...

Having landed in front of the Cessna 210 that crashed at Rand on the weekend, the discussion of "Flying Safety" came up. Having flown to Rand in a 1946 Globe Swift (a 58 year old plane), there was no doubt in my mind that the age of an aircraft has got nothing to do with its safety. If it's well maintained, it's just as safe, if not safer than a brand new aeroplane.

Unfortunately we're all human, and we all make mistakes. Therefore we have procedures to eliminate the 'human factor'. Like I mentioned in a previous forum - I do suspect the Cessna's engine failed due to fuel exhaustion - whether it be that the empty tank was selected, or that there simply wasn't enough fuel - I don't know.

We can just hope, and believe that these errors do not occur again. When they do, we need to investigate them, discuss, and learn from them. It's sad that we have to learn from others' mistakes, but it's also sad that we all have to die some day.

I lost an instructor in a plane crash in December last year. The cause of the accident is not yet known, but what is suspected is that the elevator pushrod got wedged under the seat (due to a hard landing), in the up position - causing them to climb, spin, and lose the wing. Had they cut power after the hard landing - they might've lived. He was a brilliant pilot, to say the least. But he was human, like us all.

Let us all who love Aviation strive to increase safety, and let's learn from those who tragically lost their lives. We can only minimize the risk factor, and trust we don't make mistakes and become a figure ourselves.

My passion, and love for aviation is greater than any emotion or feeling I have ever experienced - this together with the procedures, regulations and laws around aviation, I believe we can project Aviation for the activity it really is...