PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Job cuts AGAIN
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2004, 12:17
JessTheDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From The Scotsman, reliable user of PPrune!

Commanders warn all ranks to silence dissent in public

JAMES KIRKUP and GETHIN CHAMBERLAIN

MEMBERS of the armed forces have been warned they face harsh punishment if they publicly speak of their anger at yesterday’s defence cuts.

The Scotsman understands that army chiefs have written to the commanding officers of all six Scottish regiments to warn them that public displays of discontent will not be tolerated.

And lower down the chain of command, officers and men have been left in no doubt that there will be severe consequences for anyone who communicates complaints about the cuts to the media, even anonymously. "Some of our more sensitive friends threatened all sorts of bad things," said one serviceman, referring to those responsible for military discipline.

Punishments could include "administrative action and a nasty letter or interview without coffee," a reference to a formal disciplinary meeting with superior officers.

Queen’s Regulations forbid serving personnel from speaking to the media without authorisation, and traditionally, members of the forces have relied on retired officers and regimental associations to communicate their thoughts to the wider world.

But some serving officers have expressed unhappiness at the way the "traditional" system has worked during the debate over yesterday’s cuts, and are considering more dramatic steps including a open letter-writing campaign to newspapers.

Another protest being discussed last night was to use so-called "redress" rules within Queen’s Regulations that allow service personnel to ask formally for commanding officers to express their concerns to the Defence Board, the highest body in the UK armed forces which is chaired by Geoff Hoon, the Defence Secretary.

The prospect of serving officers speaking out against the cuts may put at least one Labour MP in an awkward position.

Eric Joyce, the MP for Falkirk West, left the army in 1999 after being disciplined for publicly criticising military management.

He has been one of the most outspoken advocates of yesterday’s modernisation plans on the Labour back-benches.

Some serving forces personnel regularly use internet message boards and other electronic forums to discuss military developments, and tip off reporters about them.

But there are indications that military police investigators have taken to monitoring the boards and are trying to trace the identities of those responsible for potentially controversial messages.

Such moves have left some members of the armed forces feeling even more disaffected.

"Unlike the rest of the human race which enjoys the protection of the law of the land, the military still has various internal kangaroo court processes to hang people out to dry," said one disgruntled serviceman yesterday.

General Sir Mike Jackson, the Chief of the General Staff, acknowledged that there would be discontent, particular among Scottish servicemen and women.

"I’m sure they will not all be happy," he told The Scotsman.

And in an remarkable display of how the language of modern management has even penetrated the upper echelons of the military, the former paratrooper pledged to work to soften the blow and "help them through the emotional change barrier."

The general refused to discuss the attempt to gag service personnel, but left no doubt that he would take a dim view of anyone found communicating with the media.

"There are rules about serving personnel talking to the press," he said. "Rules are rules. The army is not a democracy."

The only "emotional change barrier" I transcend is the incandescent rage I feel whenever I see Buff Hoon on TV and want to throw a brick at it!

And the army (armed forces) is not a democracy...if it was there would be a landslide change of government! Bring back Sir Jock Slater who at least had the b@lls to contradict the politicians who know nothing about the Service ethos and care less!

Please continue quoting, o journos! And you had better line a job up for me if I get caught!!! Not that I particularly care anymore!