PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-52 bombs Blackbushe
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2004, 07:06
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
West Coast,
First you should ask "Did the Iranians have GPS?" That will solve the puzzle.

Going on to nav boobs. I gave my offsets to a colleague withou finding out why I missed Watertown by 17 miles. I found out later as he had to explain to the AOC (2*) why he missed by 18 miles.

Then there was our immaculate NDB hold and landing at Tehran Merabad. OK we landed fine and flew a perfect hold. Only thing was the beacon was u/s big time - we lied.

Then the crossing of the pond 60 miles south of track the whole way. Our excuse was that the US Comcen would not accept a handwritten CA48 and the guy who wrote and typed it for us thought we would be flying 60 miles north of our planned route.

Or the VC10 that violated Greenland airspace - several hundred miles off track.

All been there, seen it, done, got the T-shirt, written the book, and been b*ll*cked where appropriate. We talk about it, like crew room banter, and learn from the old hand (like what I am myself 43 years and counting).

Back to the Buff in the bomb comp, I guess late 60's. Closest was 5,100 feet. Worst simply missed the turn and went passed Holbeach when he should have approached Wainfleet. The middle one hacked the target but was outside time and tracking limits. He did a screaming Jzus, as best you can in a Buff and most impresive, crossing over the target wings level, bomb-doors open, just 90 deg off track. Most impressive.

And last shot. Did a fly-past at Coltishall in the Lancaster, rolled off set heading for Gaydon and found we could not make the gate as the Group timings were wrong and we had not flight planned ourselves (no time). What spepd do you need said the WWII ace. Too fast I replied. What do you need, I'll tell you if its too fast. 250k.

We scorched across to Gaydon at 250k in the 'young' Lanc, only 23 years old then, and got to Gaydon on time. Only thing is we could not find Gaydon in the murk. Came in from the West!

So we all do it. OK Beags, your turn <g>