PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VP-1 pilots
Thread: VP-1 pilots
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2004, 04:32
LowNSlow

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to sidetrack the thread but I feel compelled to defend the poor maligned Auster.

I swopped my L-4 Cub for my Auster Autocrat (and a cheque) and I far prefer it. I feels "engineered" rather than built down to a price. I still make the occasional odd landing but I also did that in the Cub (I operate out of a strip which has a permanent crosswind). With tailwheel steering fitted she's as easy to handle on the ground as the Cub and the Cirrus Minor engine burns around 4-4.5 gph while cruising 10 knots faster than the Cub.

My Cirrus has been reliable (so far) after being rebuilt by Norvic 12 years ago. Solo with full fuel in the main tank she gets off the ground in much the same distance as the Cub (give or take 10 yards) but two up the "cruise" prop means more distance unfortunately.

As much as I loved the Cub, there are better aircraft in the category eg Aeronca Champ, Taylorcraft etc which do pretty much everything better than the Cub for less money..... Unfortunately for them they don't have the "Oooh ain't it cute" look of the Cub.