PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - General aviation as a career and hour building in Australia
Old 22nd Jul 2004, 02:52
WTSPT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couldn't agree with Go North more, I had a holiday up for a couple of weeks and had the opportunity to speak to a few of the pilots and heard a few of the same things, get 210 time and get there 1 or 2 months before the dry season starts, that is when all the companies will start looking for prospectives.

These are some of the things i found out;

You will need to wait a little while before you have a chance at a job, but once established up in broome, get a job in a bar or some other casual occupation that will get you established in with the social scene of the town. I know the roebuck bay hotel/motel and the nippon inn have a lot of the pilots regularly frequenting their venues for drinks. A good way to get to know the crew.

Visit the airport regularly, organise times to see and have a chat with the Chief Pilots, and DONT GET A REPUTATION, small towns in particular broome are notorious for rumors (up there they call them broomurs), and if you do something stupid everyone will get to know you very quickly for the wrong reasons.

I hear one of your concerns is being a female, well to be honest when i was up there i saw no female rookie pilots. But that simply could be because no female pilots actually bothered to make the move, i don't know. But i do know that one of the more senior pilots in Broome Aviation is a female, she could be the person to talk to before making your move.

I wish you the best of luck, it's an incredible place and incredible town.

Cheers

Last edited by WTSPT; 22nd Jul 2004 at 03:16.