PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex-Virgin Pilot Pleads Guilty to reduced charge
Old 21st Jul 2004, 20:15
Ya Zi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, he plea bargained and got reduced scentence. From what I can understand of the US plea bargain process, the plea bargain itself undermines the judicial system by the defendant admitting a lesser charge to reduce his scentence toa level acceptable to both parties. As a result, the plea bargain is a happy compromise with the prosecuters getting a result - and the prosecuted getting away with a compromise which is far better then going the whole way and running the risk of losing. Therefore, although justice can be seen to have been served, the whole thing is a fudge with both sides getting in part, an acceptable result.

I mention this case in these terms as I have worked with Richard and know that the charge is both out of character and unlikely due to his lifestyle as a result of his medical history. I fully suspect that the sentence fulfilled the requirement of both parties within the parameters of above.

So please don't judge the person without knowing the facts. And I don't consider the finding of the US courts to be an accurate representation of the facts!