PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions about obtaining an Instrument Rating
Old 21st Jul 2004, 19:32
Helinut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My position is the same as Head Turner - I have the rating but it is not current. I think there are a lot out there like us in the UK.

If you consider onshore and the way that helicopters are actually used, the true value of IFR is pretty limited. The value of helicopters is to fly point to point. To make best use of IFR, you need to fly between destinations which have IFR approaches. Since helicopters rarely fly to or from such locations, you gain little.

Even if you go to all the expense of setting up IFR(pilot/aircraft/operator), it will rarely be used. It is more difficult to make the average flight IFR. Usually the weather will allow VFR - since it is easier and quicker to go VFR, this is what will usually occur. In the absence of simulators, it is therefore very difficult for the pilots to remain IFR/IMC current and, if they are not already very IFR experienced, gain such experience. You need at least 1 hr IMC per month and at least one IFR approach, to remain current for PT IFR.

It may just be worth doing to prove that you have the ability to fly VFR, but its an expensive way to demonstrate this.

I would love to get work that allowed me to gain significant IFR/IMC experience, but it seems very difficult if you don't go offshore.