PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA and Flt Dispatchers
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2004, 16:30
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

The need for mandatory professional qualifications for Operations Control, Flight Dispatch and their Operational Support section(s), is something that I have felt necessary for a very long time (Since the early 1980's). A move to an EU wide 'licensing system' will be of benefit to not only license holder as they will be recognized as professionals in their field, but of benefit to the Airlines and Handling Agencies (Something CEO's and Bean Counters ignore).

It will be interesting how the industry responds as unfortunately in the UK Airline and Ground Handling industries, training in ground subjects and indeed ground staff development in general has been one of the first areas to be cut when money is tight (almost insultingly many companies trumpet their commitment to staff development, whilst reducing their training to purely functional, or worse on the job only)

I wonder what percentage of UK staff in Operations and Flight Dispatch have passed City and Guilds Aviation Studies part 3. Advanced Operations/Flight Dispatch?
Of those that have, how many did it without company assistance?

A regulatory requirement whether national, or international, whilst not resolving the problem, will force companies to actually put money into professional training.

I can only hope UKOMA will:
a) Support this whole wholeheartedly.
b) The members use just the threat of regulation, to force the issue of improving training for Control Centre and Flight Dispatch staff, within their own Airlines.

I only wish instead of ‘I hope’ I was confident enough in UKOMA to have written ‘I am certain’