PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RIAT....a good show or Airships' junket?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2004, 12:56
BLW Skylark 4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having just returned to reality today from ten days working at RIAT can I say that the impression I had from most visitors was that they had a good day. All American aircraft did have a security presence from arrival thru to departure, armed MPs during the non public days, MOD Plod on the others.

Contrary to a previous posting though I would say that the MOD plod were keen to help accommodate the ATC where they could, especially on the C5 & C141. Whilst wandering around fulfilling my duties near these aircraft I was approached by a Policeman to enquire if it was possible to get the green cones and ropes moved such that punters could do walk throughs on the aircraft. The problem being that they were under instructions that all USAF aircraft were considered to be a secure area and once they let people under the ropes they tend to go a wandering. I cant claim all the credit but after a chat with an Eng friend who in turn spoke to a Ranger - low the next time I was on Apron White there were blue cone roads up to the ramps of the C5.

Has anyone got pics of the Aircrew Enclosure golf buggy being driven through the C5 or similarly the same buggy with 15 + Dutch aircrew on board? If so, a PM would be appreciated.

Not to sure about the bouncers at the hangar Party though - personally I felt their presence and behaviour a bit OTT, especially regarding a certain incident! If anyone has any pics of that (and I dont mean the Brazilian Herc Captains stage appearance) please PM me.

As far as numbers through the doors are concerned, I understand 20% up circa 150K. Roll on 2005 hopefully!

Finally, just in case Beags or TSW are reading this - we didnt get any freebie hats this year!

'BLW'