PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet service standards
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2004, 07:19
aviaraptor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keepit

BMI did leave BFS because of their relationship with TBI, the pricing structure and the growing presence of eJ. At the time BM were offered the same terms as eJ but turned down the offer. BM had agreed with BCA the terms of the deal with Bombardier. Now if you look at the BCA plans put forward to the NI Planning people there was an area marked for a new airline. Let me think who that might have been. It wasn't going to be go-fly, or Ryanair or easy - perhaps BA? No the real reason that BCA went ahead with the new terminal is that they had an appalling facility which BM refused to use - "So build us a new one and we'll be there" was the word from our Nige.

I think you'll find it was all down to egos, politics and brinkmanship.

But as Maggie T said - "you can't buck the market" and look what's happened. The gloom and doom surrounding BFS has gone - 4m pax, new facilities and new carriers coming in - short and long haul. Easy have proven that you can build a sensible business in the province and the people have benefitted. I just wish more people would come in and visit.

I personally do not like flying into the Harbour, to me size matters and I prefer more concrete.