PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are we being protected against?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2004, 10:52
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think some are getting confused between US immigration officials (generally unfriendly and officious) and the people who man airport security barriers (generally courteous and efficient). IMO of course.

eal401, the only time you would have your passport checked on exit back in 1999 would be by the airline. If you were travelling on a visa waiver, you would have also handed the exit part of your green I94(W) into the airline, the airline were responsible for passing this to the INS. Unfortunately this didn't always happen. I also know of people who would overstay their 90 days visa-free welcome, and hand in a new I94(W) which deliberately didn't match up with the I94(W) kept by INS at entry. I suspect decent people are now being treated quite badly by over-suspicious US immigration because of these mis-matches, or because there is a record of entry in the INS computer but no exit.

As for lines at security checkpoint, I think they should have a special line for those travellers who unload their pockets of metal at the latest possible moment, take their jackets off at the last possible moment, put things in their luggage which they have been warned several times are not allowed, or make some stupid protest to security about how ridicuous it is that they should be checked when they could make a weapon out of an airline seat. Let them waste their time but don't waste mine when I'm behind you.

Those of us who know the score should have a special line which moves quickly and efficiently through the very unburdomsome security requirements and lets me get to the free booze in the lounge ASAP. Fortunately "fasttrack" does this to a degree. If I ever needed a penknife on a plane I guess I might see somebodies point, but seeing as I never have (although I remember a pretty tough slab of meat on XX once) I don't have much sympathy for those who think they might.