PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Journalist takes “8 inch” knife aboard BA flight
Old 19th Jul 2004, 17:52
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you have experienced passenger profiling you will not have any idea what it is about. no one has mentioned anything about racial profiling and your assumption that that is what I was referring to shows how little idea you have about it.

Of course it is going to be very expensive and time consuming. My point in this debate is that if you want better security then put up or shut up. We all know that there is indeed a price or value placed on a human life when it comes to aviation and the regulatory groups that control it.

No one has guaranteed that any system is foolproof but some systems are better than others and the point I am trying to make is that what we see at the moment is nothing short of farcical. Maybe not to the travelling public who are spoon-fed nonsense by the tabloids and other audience hungry news media that what we have now is as good as it gets.

To recoil in shock horror at the word 'profiling' and to immediately assume that it is based someones appearance only goes to show how limited most peoples experience and knowledge of how proper security works. It only shows an aversion to questioning that cowers behind the cloak of Political Correctness.

If you want to reduce the chances of another 9/11 style attack using airliners or just reduce the chance of a hijacking, then more needs to be done and passenger profiling is just another tool in the armoury. Unfortunately, it is an expensive one which is conveniently avoided under the guise of erosion of civil liberties.

What do I care? I'm safe behind my bullet-proof cockpit door. If other people can't understand that a few qualified questions and a glance at the ticket will be all that's needed for the vast majority of passengers with the occasional need for further questions should there be anything that doesn't seem quite right, based on current intelligence, then just let them keep the current joke that is so easily bypassed. Once again, the authorities can close the stable door after the horse has bolted. It's probably just a matter of time.