PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flicks Rolls - Oh Joy!
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2004, 08:43
stiknruda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paulo,

Can you answer JF's question?

I find that in the Pitts, it is pretty essential to unload the elevator as soon as the auto-rotation starts or you tend to bury the roll and then leave yourself with a low energy state upon the exit. If you unload then you tend to roll faster as the nose does not scribe such a large circumference circle AND you exit with more energy.

If you are having a problem stopping on heading - because it goes round so quickly, you can either flick to the right as going with the engine is less dramatic - or you can do it at lower power settings until you can stop wings level on hdg, then incrementally do it with more power until it you can catch it at your aerobatic power config. You should also try it on the up and down 45s and from inverted - read on.....

Once you are happy flicking then the you really ought to try an avalanche or Porteous loop. Loop with a higher than normal entry speed... at the eleven o'clock position, stick right back, full left rudder, as soon as she starts to flick, stick forward to where it was prior to you pulling it right back. After 360 degrees inverted to inverted, full opposite rudder to stop the roll, rudder neutral and deftly and gently ease the aircraft around the second half of the loop! Great fun.

Neil Williams describes a flick going pear-shaped in his book, Aerobatics, but in all honesty I have never managed to duplicate it without gross mishandling. However Neil probably did tens of thousands where I have just done a few hundred!

Outside (-ve G) flicks are also possible - you just need to push rather than pull to initiate. Not sure if the Robin is cleared for those, though.

TonyR - let's hear more about your daughter

Stik