PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2004, 06:52
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crikey! Give us a break. What next?
Who cares, you ask. Lots of people. Those thinking of doing their PPL. Those doing it, who may feel very isolated at times. Those who've done it, and just like hearing others' detailed accounts. Instructors, since it may show different ways of teaching things and how students react. And for those who don't like it, there's a simple solution, don't click on it.

mazzy,
I think this is a great idea, and I'm all for it; thankyou. But having done several "live" diary threads myself, there are a few things maybe you should know. Your flying life is about to become public property. That's fine when it's all going well, but what about when you find something really difficult, when the going gets tough, when you screw up and wish you'd never started? Unless you're very lucky, that will happen at some point. Will you share it with the world? How will you feel about that? Also, although a lot of people may like what you're doing, some won't...as has started already. Some will hate you for it, for whatever reason. Do you want that, on top of doing a very difficult course?

This is all worth thinking about. Personally, I found at some point that I was getting too well known, and that as a result there were people who tried to shoot me down the moment I stuck my head above the parapet...they seemed to be just waiting for me to screw up! Which is why I didn't post for a week or so, and have eased off a bit since then (OK, so none of you noticed. )

Of course, the other side is that you'll get loads of advice and support. I think PPRuNe is wonderful, and I doubt if I'd have got where I have aviation-wise without it. But once you start getting known - and you will, if you keep up this thread - there is, or can be, this other side to it. Ask pink aviator about that, and ask...well, not for me to say, but quite a few people. And I just felt that you should know about it.

Sorry for using up so much bandwidth on your thread; let me know if you want this deleted and I will...I nearly pm-ed you instead, but I felt that it was worth saying in public too. Especially after QSK's comment, so early on.