PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legal action against Naunton Pugh t/a Cape Flying services(Europe)
Old 19th Jul 2004, 06:18
Amabokoboko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And hey! if one has not gone "Solo" before 7 - 10 hours - just FORGET IT !!!!!!!
Oh, come on! There are so many factors involved here that if you take such an arrogant view, you run the risk of disaffecting many perfectly capable young pilots.

At the school I train at, even at the fastest possible rate you are unlikely to start flying regular circuits much before 7 hours. Then you have to perform at least 4 error free circuits in a row before anyone is going to sign you out. You cannot tell me that someone solo'ing after 3 1/2 hours has been through exercises 1-11 (of the SA PPL, maybe it's different in the UK) plus become completely competent in circuits with the requisite radio work in what amounts to just over 2 lessons.

I did my intro training over a period of 5 months so I was often having to relearn skills and got unlucky on two occasions due to radio failure half way through the preliminary circuits and only solo'ed after about 22 hours. I may be no Chuck Yeager but I certainly don't deserve to be grounded. Or do I?