PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAR to FAA Conversion...
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2004, 20:57
skyman68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"If you set yourself up to accept any student and you here that they are not legal in the US it would be your responsibility to tell INS (They are now called something else USCIS, I think?)"

NO, IT IS NOT!

minus 273,

maybe u are right.I was in the US before 9/11 and proabably lot of things have changed. But I still have a current FAA license and under the US law, I have the authorisation to train pilots in the US or outside of the USA.

the problem resides in the fact if I am paid or not. I do not not have a green card, but once again, legally I can teach people to fly a planeas long I do not make a living. As a FAA CFI, it is not my job to check student visa and it is not the job of the student to check my status, and I do not have to report student status to the INS (now under a different name, home security, bla bla bla).Who is going to pay me for that anyway(nothing is free in the states)! ???

I fly sometimes in the US with students or friends and I sign their log book(biennal, dicovery, check out...), or people call me to fly their planes during vacations. This is legal for my point of view as long I am legal in the US(B2 visa by exemple) . the status of my student is NOT under my responsability and I have NOT be informed by the INS or by the FAA of such stupid law.

(and anyway, some big black guys will kill me if I ask them if they are legal or not in the USA. If you want die young ,my friend , ask such question.
...I hope you like hospital food. Go to New York Harlem, find a Gang with Cuban or black guys and ask them with your lovely british accent:" are you legal in the USA???" I hope you can run fast or dodge bullets .)

As a FAA CFI, I have to follow the Federal aviation regulation(FAR), and the Practical test standard(PTS) and so far, I am unaware of these visa problems.

by the way, I do not tell to people to come without a visa.this is illegal.But you do not need a student visa if you want to go to the USA and rent an aircraft for some hours.(90 days or tourist visa is enough).

please, if you see anything in the FAR AIM which could stop me to teach in the USA. Please, inform me asap. But keep in mind, not like in Europe, I do not have to be approved by a school to teach, it is printed on my license. This is what I like in the USA. This license gives me lot of opportunities.

Last edited by skyman68; 18th Jul 2004 at 21:42.